Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Post Punk

So having said I would post monthly a reflection on the spinning theme. I have slipped by the wayside. In my defence we had a debilitating fire.

I have alway considered post punk to be time specific and happy to stick with 1979- 84 for my selections.

First up - Dexy's Midnight Runners - Couldn't help it if I tried

I have returned to this album a number of times and in the right moment there is something special here. A big brass section and some bold plaintive vocals. Singing about being an irishmen in England. Liked it because it is live. Here is what the Dexy's ended up doing in 2017 .


Second pick - Ceremony - Radiohead cover

Picked because this song is done well by them particularly guitar and vocals - the transition of Joy Division / Warsaw punk to Joy Division / New Order post punk 




Last up in the trio Cure - Forest first ever live performance - Young folk and interesting to see the density of the soundscape. Missed them playing in P North.



No comments: